Masks have become an everyday essential to prevent the spread of Covid-19, but on top of being hot and exhausting to wear they can also cause clogged pores, blemishes, bumpy skin and oiliness. If you, like us, are committed to staying Covid-safe but don’t want your skin to go haywire, we’ve got some tips for you!
Prevention is always better than cure, so even if you’re not experiencing breakouts yet, taking some preventative measures may not be a bad idea if you want to keep your skin looking healthy and happy!
Try a double cleanse (Facial Cleansing Oil, Supreme Cleansing Gel)
Cleansing your skin twice a day is even more important when you wear a mask because a mask can prevent your skin cells from shedding efficiently which contributes to maskne. For a more thorough cleanse, we suggest trying a double cleanse:
• First cleanse with an oil-based cleanser like NovAge Facial Cleansing Oil that removes oil-based impurities such as make-up, pollution and excess oil.
• Then cleanse with NovAge Supreme Cleansing Gel that gently cleans, tones and removes dirt from pores while keeping the skin hydrated.
Prevent dry skin
If your skin is dehydrated it can mean cell turnover slows down which can lead to even more buildup of dead skin cells on the surface. Dead skin cells along with oil and dirt can cause clogged pores and blemishes. So, to keep skin hydrated and in a healthy condition under your mask we suggest:
• Gently massaging a few drops of NovAge Skin Priming Essence into the skin after cleansing. This helps seal in hydration and support the skin barrier, helping to sustain healthy-looking skin.
Balance oily skin
Wearing a mask every day can weaken the skin barrier, causing the skin to lose water and it can also cause clogged pores, oiliness and maskne. You may be tempted to over-cleanse, but don’t, this may strip the skin! Instead we suggest:
• Applying a few drops of NovAge Oil Balance Solution after cleansing, then follow up with the rest of your routine. This effective solution helps to control excess sebum production, reduce excess shine and minimise pores.
So, how to tackle breakouts? The other steps should help you prevent them, and so does this one, but if you’ve got maskne this product with salicylic acid should be your go-to for helping your skin recover:
• Apply NovAge Breakout Defence Emulsion to blemished skin after cleansing and follow up with the rest of your routine. This solution helps prevent and reduce clogged pores, blemishes and scar visibility with salicylic acid and helps provide radiant clear skin.
• It also contains Cica that aids in skin regeneration and is an incredibly soothing ingredient.
Target blemishes straight away
When you’re out and about and feel a blemish coming on under your mask, act instantly to prevent it from breaking out!
• Apply NovAge Targeted 24-Hour Blemish Correction – an advanced spot-gel that gets to work on your breakouts instantly and prevents them from getting worse. It’s also clinically proven to reduce blemish size within 24 hours.
• If you already have maskne, apply a thin layer over the affected areas to actively reduce the appearance of redness and discomfort.
Find out how to use these products in your current NovAge routine here.